mornings are simple here: a breakfast of eggs and sometimes cereal and always french press coffee (currently dogwood). most mornings jp takes care of the animals, and usually with ramona putzing about in the yard. but mornings –my favorite mornings– are when the three of us traipse out there together to say hello to violet & lacey, chickens 1, 2, & 3, and the duck couple (one of them now obviously a male).
we pet the ladies. we toss grain. we fill the manger. we collect eggs. we replenish the waters. we sit on the logs and take in the simplicity of it all.
ramona and violet and lacey. my lovely ladies.
psst, our new restaurant, the populist, opens this wednesday, november 14th. bc of the madness that’s our life right now i’ve asked some of my favorite bloggers to pick up my slack and do some guests posts. you’ll see them starting soon!
for her first birthday, ramona received a membership to the denver zoo from jp’s parents. we usually go later in the afternoon when there’s fewer field-trips and thus fewer children. she can run around the wide paths and get the wiggles out and i can introduce her to the real-life animals whose sounds i’ve been teaching her.
last week jp was battling a stomach bug so headed to the zoo to give him some quiet space and us some fresh air.
she loves finding puddles and stomping her little feet in them. the sea lion caught her eye and she stood on the ledge patiently waiting for it to swim past over and over. and that little black and white bird! the two of them stayed there for a handful of minutes (a long time in toddler-time) and talked to each other and mirrored one another and ran back and forth together. finally she noticed me standing a little bit away and ran over to grab my hand to make sure i wouldn’t miss out on these flirtations with the little bird (this hand-holding thing is new and just kills me every time!).
most of this may very well be old news to some of you. i, however, was out-of-the-loop and off the internet for nearly a week straight. i spent sunday morning during ramona’s nap going through what i’d missed on reader, pinterest, facebook, and other-ways-to-waste-your-time platforms. here’s a list of links to go with your monday morning coffee (i’m copying your style, alli!):
- the sakura bloom sling diaries are over. boy, was that sure fun!
- miles, papa, and me ended my hunt for reusable pureed food pouches. thanks, cora!
- let’s, please, stop raising our daughters to be nice girls. via lorissa.
- a letter to the mom who can’t stop following her child around the playground. this is how i feel sometimes now that ramona is getting old enough to play on her own or with max at the park. via my mother.
- color photos in the era of black & white.
- fascinating piece on obama’s way by michael lewis published in vanity fair.
- crema coffee house has a new website.
- another sneak peek of the populist via 5280 magazine
- also, for your daily dose of cuteness, this weekend we got ducks!: