it was at kurt’s, a friend of ours, apartment.
we also met and talked with the guy who makes this comic strip. he was just finishing up his last day of this brilliant idea that he’s been doing every january for three years.
and got to hang out with melissa, zach’s gf who’s in town from the big apple.
jp, zach, melissa.
–2 cups flour
–1/2 teaspoon baking powder
–1/2 teaspoon baking soda
–1/8 teaspoon salt
–1/2 cup butter
–1/2 cup shortening
–3/4 cup white sugar (can add up to 2 more tablespoons, if desired)
–2 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
–1/4 pound whole, blanched almonds (one for each cookie)
–1 egg, lightly beaten
1. preheat oven to 325 degrees
2.in large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
3. in medium bowl, use mixer to beat butter, shortening, sugar.
4. add the egg and almond extract and beat until well blended.
5. add to the flour mixture and mix well.
note: don’t worry if the dough is crumbly at this point, it’s supposed to be.
6. using fingers, form the mixture into a dough, then form the dough into 2 rolls 10 to 12 inches long. wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
7. lightly score the rolled dough at 3/4 inch intervals making 15 pieces and cut the dough.
8. roll each into a ball and place on lightly greased cookie tray 1 1/2 inches apart. place an almond in center of each, press down lightly.
9. brush each cookie lightly with beaten egg before baking. bake for 15 minutes to 18 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and store in a sealed container.