wishing you were here
those kisses you sent, i found them wandering around the house. they were acting a little lost, not knowing exactly where i was.
i was busy upstairs. but now we are all having tea and talking about you, and wishing you were here.
and they imparted all you intended. they did well.
one more thing: i have see you at your best and at your worst; still you are always welcome near me.
happy valentine’s day from the powerdrivers to you. xoxo
I have decided to find myself a home in the mountains, somewhere high up where one learns to live peacefully in the cold and silence. It’s said that in such a place certain revelations may be discovered. That what the spirit reaches for may be eventually felt, if not exactly understood. Slowly, no doubt. I’m not talking about a vacation.
Of course at the same time I mean to stay exactly where I am.
Are you following me?
–Mary Oliver in A Thousand Mornings
after a wonderful trip to florida with ramona and my mother (three generations of spunky olson women!) followed by a babymoon getaway to texas hill country with jp, it is time to hunker down, settle in, nest, and prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the arrival of little bug. i’m thankful i got to jet away for a little bit before life plants me firmly at home, where i ought to be. and where i want to continue cultivating as a sanctuary of peace, serenity, intention, and calm.
the diapers and burp rags are washed and folded. i’ve gone through all of ramona’s baby clothes, from 0-12 months, laundered and put them away in a new spot for baby #2. my birth kit is stocked and ready to go. i have been taking my vitamins, watching what i eat, drinking tons of water, constantly sipping on red raspberry leave and nettle tonic, and snuggling ramona whenever she will let me. home feels good and right. we are ready to meet this little girl.
time with ramona is precious. it’s important to me her and i keep connecting as much as we can since things will be changing so soon. i make eye contact with her, dance w her, hold her when she needs, take our sweet old time with tucking into bed and nap time, sing her a million songs, and always say yes to one more book. man, she sure is my little lady.
we accept any good vibes and prayers sent our way as we enter into this next stage of family. love to all of you.
this above photo is from when we finally arrived in denver on our way home from florida. ramona, who has been potty trained for the good part of a year, decided to empty her bladder in her plane seat while i was reading her a book. just like that. soaking her pants and dress on the first of our TWO legs home. and of course i didn’t have any extra clothes bc, well, she never has any accidents. never say never, right? luckily, i had one stray diaper, which was intended for our second leg where i was hoping she would take a snooze (she does wear diapers for bed time). i asked her why she did that. “because i do that,” she said matter-of-factly. i couldn’t have put it more succinctly myself, miss minka. the pilot on our second flight offered her a t-shirt from his suitcase (god bless southwest airlines) which she wore for about 10 seconds. she just loved being able to be mostly naked out and about. silly girl. this is one for the books.
my toiletry tuesday base layer post is in need of an update! here’s what i’ve been using recently. maybe it’s the pregnancy. maybe it’s the nightly clarisonic deep clean. but either way, i am loving what is happening with my skin lately and i’m certain the above products contribute to it.
- r.l. linden & co. thousand petal beautifying mist || i spray this all over my face first thing when i get out of the shower (i also use this if i need a refresher during the day).
- arcona eye dew || gives a nice dewy look to the eyes but also, after consistent use, works to brighten and plump skin. i don’t know if it’s actually plumping my skin but my eyes, which are naturally dark and a bit sunken, have never looked more awake.
- r.l. linden & co coffee & tea facial serum || this is still in the beta testing stages but i am already begging them to make it a permanent part of their line. it makes my face tingle and adds a nice, natural, moisturizing oil to my skin.
- tilvee argan & sea buckthorn age-defying cream || i’ve been using this almost three years now and i have no intention of stopping. it’s a nice heavy cream, perfect for morning and night, that settles into the skin nicely and works its magic. ideal for dry weather climates.
- r.l. linden & co. la balmba rose healing balm || used on my lips and any random dry patches on my face (corners of mouth, edge of nose, even my forehead!).
- tom’s deodorant || what’s there to say about deodorant? besides: stop using the stuff with aluminum in it!
- kiehl’s creme de corps || i like it but i don’t LOVE it. suggestions for a good all-over body cream are currently being accepted. i’m looking for something without a ton of ingredients (i use coconut oil from time to time but am not sold on that either).
- egyptian magic all purpose skin cream || i use this on my growing belly, stretch marks (frowny face), and dry patches on elbows or knees. it took me a while to warm up to it but i love love love this heavy lotion.
- jenna hipp essential nail & hand cream || i fell in love with jenna hipp’s products at base coat nail salon. i have always been on the search for the perfect hand cream and this is where i got to stop looking.
oh hi! you remember r.l. linden? they are my new favorite skincare line and they just keep concocting and producing the absolute best products. and they’re from denver! stay tuned for an updated toiletry tuesday on how i use some of their items. but for now, let’s welcome them as new sponsors on A Denver Home Companion! we’re celebrating with a giveaway of their roll-on unisex perfume, ironwood no. 1. this was a collaboration with the denver store ironwood and features the amazing scent of palo santo, which just makes me swoon. so it’s a bonus that my love, jp, likes to wear it (and this says a lot bc he has never worn a scent before).
to be entered to win, please visit r.l. linden and tell me what product you’d be interested in trying. for more entries, share this giveaway, like them on facebook and twitter. and for even MORE entries, like me on facebook! make sure to leave an extra comment for each additional entry. (if you already follow us on other social platforms, that counts too!) i’ll contact the winner this friday, on valentine’s day.
ever since she’s been taking weekly ballet/tap classes and we’ve been jamming to all sorts of music (we’ve been listening to devotchka, katy perry, whitney houston, grandchildren, lorde, and the wizard of oz album all thanks to rdio [sign up for it. it will change your music listening, seriously]) ramona cannot stop moving her body.
“watch my move!” she commands. “watch me, mama! do you like my move?” and she shakes her booty and flips her hands and shuffles her feet and throws in some plies and passes and releves (all those french ballet words should have accents on them somewhere but i’m not going to bother) followed up with some twerking. yes, you read that right.
it’s our new favorite way to spend our morning: jp and i on the couch with our coffee, watching ramona bust a move or two or five on the living room floor. usually she prefers to dance on her own. until she doesn’t. then you betcha she’s dragging us out there and bossing us around: “no! move your head like this! you stand there. now bend down. move like this. my turn. SPIN ME!” not sure i would usually condone this attitude but her being a little dancing maestro really kills me.
and i love to see her discovering how she can use her body movement to express herself. she gets this look in her eyes (you can see it in the photos) and she gets into her own world and gets so so serious about what she’s doing. even though she demands an audience, this little lady is not hamming it up. no sir-ee. she is straight up all business.
now, when she’s sad, we talk about dancing as a way to cheer her up. it usually works. goodness, if we all had a coping mechanism like that.